My Photo
Name:
Location: Phoenix, Arizona, United States

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Steelerfan...you're going to be disappointed today

I've watched the coverage of the Super Bowl and am still amazed how all the 'experts' think Pittsburgh is going to stomp Seattle this afternoon. There's no season like (pro) football season I always say. I've been an avid watcher since I was a kid of 6 or 7. It was a rite of passage in my house. I learned the game as boys should, sitting on dads lap while he had his buddies over to enjoy it with him. Before I knew who was who I picked the winners by who had the best looking helmets. That's how San Diego became my favorite team and it has always been that way. I still think they have the best looking helmets. Until they changed their colors, I always had Seattle in second. I look forward to having the same experience with my own son someday. I need a woman to participate in the process...but that's a blog for another day. Female bloggers, feel free to introduce yourselves...football fans get to the head of the line.
Back to the matter at hand, I would bet on Seattle (and I have) every day of the week in this particular matchup. Why? You can start in the backfeld. Can you say league MVP? Apparently the prognosticators can't. Shaun Alexander has more touchdowns than any back in the league and most quarterbacks. These weren't of the 1-10 variety, we're talking 20-50 yard gamebreakers on a lot of them. So why is everyone talking about Jerome Bettis? He may be from Detroit but you mean to tell me there's no one on Seattle's roster from Detroit who is 'making good?' Bettis isn't going to get sixty yards if you combine his rushing AND recieving totals. Alexander will have 60 by the end of the first half. Pittsburgh has a great defense but it has been broken a few times this year. They have to respect the run and bring up Polamalu (the other overhyped player this week). He's a great safety and deserving of attention but the Seahawks have an excellent secondary as well and we haven't heard the names of ANY of those guys this week.
Placing the extra man to stop the run is going to give the Seahawks trio of talented wideouts an advantage they've had all season. Darrell Jackson, Bobby Engram and Joe Jurevicius will make it a long day for the Steelers. Pittsburgh has Hines Ward who comes to play every game and no one else. Antwaan (Gadget Play) Randel-El will probably pass it at least once but you need a reciever, not Slash II. Matt Hasselbeck is a more complete quarterback than Big Ben and will make the clutch throws and move the ball. Pittsburgh has lived and died with grind it out, ball control offense. Now they're up against a team that can do the same to them. Both defenses have been special but guess who's has been getting all the newsprint...
The most important factor is points. Seattle has averaged 28 points a game and is the highest scoring team in the league. Pittsburgh is lucky to score twenty a game. They have played over their heads for three weeks straight putting thirty plus on the board twice but they're due to become the old Steelers and twenty won't do against the Colts of the NFC. Seattle has won thirteen of their last fourteen games...hello!!! The only loss was at the end of the regular season when the starters sat out. So why in the blue hell are they a 4.5 point underdog?!?!
In summation, Pittsburgh may be getting all the coverage but the better team is in the pacific northwest. I'm sure the Seahawks don't mind being the underdog and almost completely forgotten for a change but they have to be feeling a little disrespected by this point. Smashmouth football doesn't play in the Super Bowl and the Steelers are about to find that out. As you can tell by my previous blog, this wasn't the easiest Super Bowl to predict after all but I did have Seattle representing the NFC. Although i'm an AFC guy, I am going to atone for my previous forecasting missteps by giving you the scoop without the favoritism. Shaun Alexander will have 120 yards and two touchdowns and Seattle will win this game 34-24. Sorry Steelerfan, all the terrible towels in the world won't help you now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counter
Free Web Site Counter